For a better coordination and connection of the national and regional R&D activities in the wood-based sector, the European Union has supported two Woodwisdom-Net programs (www.woodwisdom.net) with three calls since 2004; within their ERA-Net programs (European Research Area Network).
At the moment 23 joint projects are running under the fourth call of the actual ERA-Net+ WoodWisdom-Net+ “Innovation in the forest-based sector for increasing resource efficiency and tackling climate change with competitive customer solutions”. The indicative total available budget amounted to 24 M€ (national public funding including EC top-up funding of 8 M€). Due to the Commission for Technology and Innovation CTI Switzerland is an official partner in the WWN+.
Further Information is available on the homepage of WoodWisdom-Net (www.woodwisdom.net).
For questions regarding Woodwisdom-NET+, please turn to Mr Thomas Näher by phone 032 344 03 49 or e-mail: thomas.naeher (at) s-win.ch or contact directly WoodWisdom-Net via Mika Kallio mika.kallio (at) woodwisdom.net.
The following projects are running under the fourth call of WoodWisdom-Net+ (see the project coordinator in brackets). The projects will end in 2017 at latest. Short presentations of the projects could be downloaded on the webpage of the Midterm seminar which took place on 14th and 15th of September 2015 at Empa Academy in Dübendorf, Switzerland (http://www.woodwisdom.net/seminar-14-15-sept-2015/).
- AEROWOOD – Wood-based aerogels (University of Helsinki, FI)
- BIOCOPOL – Enhancing wood durability and physical properties through innovative bio-based sustainable treatments (Berne University of applied science – Architecture, wood and civil engineering, CH)
- BIOSHAPES – Polysaccharide bioshapes – chemical design and shaping into new biomaterials (Åbo Akademi University, FI)
- CaReWood – Cascading recovered wood (Technische Universität München, DE)
- COMPAC – Plasticized lignocellulose composites for packaging materials (Cooperative State University Baden Wurttemberg – Karlsruhe / DHBW, DE)
- COSEPA – Controlled separation and conversion processes for wood hemicelluloses (LUT - Lappeenranta University of Technology, FI)
- CreoSub – New protection technology to substitute creosote for the protection of railway sleepers, timber bridges and utility poles (Norwegian Institute of Wood Technology, NO)
- DuraTB – Durable timber bridges (Norwegian university of Science and Technology, NO)
- EU Hardwoods – European hardwoods for the building sector (Holzforschung Austria, AT)
- FASTFORESTS – Impacts of faster growing forests on raw material properties with consideration of the potential effects of a changing climate on species choice (University College Dublin, IR)
- HCLTP – Hybrid cross laminated timber plates (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering, SLO)
- HEMICELL – Wood based chemicals, in particular chemical modified hemicellulose, used as functional additives to enhance the material properties of cellulose esters (Fraunhofer Institute for Environmental, Safety, and Energy Technology UMSICHT, DE)
- leanWood – Innovative lean processes and cooperation models for planning, production and maintenance of urban timber buildings (Technische Universität München, DE)
- LIGNOHTL – Liquid fuels from lignin by hydrothermal liquefaction and deoxygenetion (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, FI)
- PRONANOCELL – processes for nanocellulose composite manufacturing (Innventia AB, SE)
- ReWoBioRef – Mobilisation and utilization of recycled wood for ligno-cellulosic bio-refinery processes (Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur angewandten Forschung e.V. WKI, DE)
- Silent Timber Build – Silent timber buildings for the European market (SP Trä, SE)
- TallFacades – Tall timber facades, identification of cost-effective and resilient envelopes for wood constructions (Technische Universität München, DE)
- TunableFilms – Tunable lignocellulose-based responsive films (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, FI)
- VARMA – Value added by optimal wood raw material allocation and processing (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, FI)
- WoTIM – Wood-based thermal insulation materials (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, FI)
- Wood2New – Competitive wood based interior materials and systems for modern wood construction (Aalto University, FI)
- W3B – Wood Believe – Social perceptions of the forest-based sector and its products towards sustainable society (Kompetenzzentrum Holz GmbH - Wood KPlus, AT)